Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Grave Mercy

Review by heyes


Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin #1)
by Robin LaFevers




Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult


Rating: N


Content: Fornication, Murder, Worship of Death


Summary: Ismae, a daughter of death, escapes the brutality of her father and an arranged marriage by becoming a handmaiden of death. In an abbey, she is trained in the many ways to kill a man. When her training is completed she is assigned to observe the high court of Brittany, where she is overwhelmed by her inexperience and even begins questioning the purity of the abbey. Will she follow them blindly or follow her heart instead?


Personal Review: So I actually really like this book. It was well written, the story was intriguing, and even though I normally am uncomfortable with other gods in our own world it didn’t bother me in this book. So why did I give it a N rating? Apart from Ismae’s somewhat sadistic desire to kill people; the last 30 pages. Literally the entire book is about her being an assassin and trying to figure out who is plotting against her beloved duchess, and then she realizes that if she just sleeps with the guy that’s been poisoned, she’ll be able to save him from death. Okay what? First of all it makes no sense. Second, I don’t want my daughters to read books where the solution is sex. On the other hand, I did enjoy it and the the sex scene is not descriptive so if my daughters want to read it as adults I won’t judge but they’ll have to get it from the library because I’m not buying it.

-heyes

Try Instead:
Throne of Glass by Sarah Maas

No comments:

Post a Comment