Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Ruby Red Trilogy

Review by heyes

Ruby Red
by Kerstin Gier
Book 1 in Ruby Red Trilogy
Book 2 Sapphire Blue
Book 3 Emerald Green




Genre: Science Fiction/Fantasy, Teen Fiction


Personal Rating: Y-13


Content: Some Language (D,H,S,Bd),


Summary:
Gwen is just another teenage girl, she likes movies, and hanging out with her best friend Lesley. In fact the only thing strange about Gwen is that she has black hair in a family of all redheads, she can see and talk to ghosts and sheh belongs to a long line of Time Travelers. Her cousin, Charlotte , is next to inherit the time traveling gene but Gwen’s life turns upside down when she realizes she has just fallen into the past.The Guardians of the time travelers,having trained Charlotte her whole life, now have to scramble to prepare Gwen for the tasks ahead of her.  Her most strenuous task is putting up with Gideon, her time traveling counterpart, who makes no secret of the fact that he believes Charlotte would have been better suited for the gene. She has to deal with the guardians as they try to train her without trusting her without one grain of information,  with an insufferable cousin who feels Gwen stole her whole life, with her mother who seems to know more than she lets on and with Count Saint Germain, founder of the Guardians, fellow time traveler, and disconcerting leader whom the Guardians follow blindly.


Personal Review:
I read the entire trilogy and this personal review will pertain to the entire series. I found this book very entertaining. It is written in the first person from Gwen’s point of view so if you don’t want to be inside a teenage girl’s head you may not like this book. The swearing was a bit annoying to me but since it wasn’t very frequent and there were no F-words I got over it. The second and third books have some underage drinking but it is not portrayed as a good thing so I thought it was okay. The third book in the series has no sex but definitely alludes to sex being expected and Gwen feeling like something must be wrong with her since some boy decided to call it a night when things got a little heated rather than go all the way. I still gave it a Y-13 because I really do think most 13 year olds are mature enough for the content but I would suggest that parents gage whether or not recommending this book to their 13 years old on how impressionable your child is in regards to sexual immorality. Like I said there is no sex in the trilogy but it definitely makes teen sex out to be expected and the “something must be wrong with me because he didn’t want to go farther.” is not something I want my daughters thinking at 13.
That being said, I myself loved the books. I thought they were hilarious and a demon introduced in the second book was amazing. The translation from German to English gave me a few more laughs when I could tell some expressions didn’t translate correctly. I also thought that for being inside a girl’s head, it wasn’t as bad as some others I have read. I liked all of the characters in the book and I thought they were all well developed.


-heyes


If you enjoyed this book you might also like:
Bewitching Season by Marissa Doyle

No comments:

Post a Comment