Sunday, March 16, 2014

The Hunger Games

Review by Curry


by Suzanne Collins




Genre: Dystopian, Young Adult


Rating: Y- 14


Content: Violence (involving Children,) Substance abuse (in a side character.)


I’m sure by now you have all heard something about The Hunger Games good or bad. When I first read this book I had not heard anything about it except that it was really good from my boss. After I read it I absolutely could not wait for the 2nd and 3rd books to come out. Here is a summary:


Summary:


In this futuristic dystopian society there are 12 districts controlled by a power hungry capital. To remind the districts of the Capital’s power every year each district must send one boy and one girl tribute to fight to the death in a televised event called The Hunger Games. When Katniss Everdeen’s sister is selected as tribute Katniss desperately volunteers to take her place knowing that she will most likely die. In the games Katniss thrives off of her natural instincts to survive.


Personal Review:


I love this book. It is one of my all time favorites. However, I must warn you that this book is very violent. One of the main themes of this book is that the capital is abusive and heartless to it’s districts and this is shown by the horrible things that the capital puts the districts through. However, the violence is shown as horrific and the good characters never kill just to kill. This book is well written and the characters are amazing. There is not one character that I disliked. From the end of the first chapter I was hooked to this book and just had to know what happened next. I was also emotionally invested in this book which meant that I cried and laughed (at appropriate times.) I could go on and on about this book, which probably means that we will have a discussion page about it :) Overall, an excellent book! (Parents be cautious in letting your children read this)


-Curry


If you liked this you might also like:


Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
The False Prince by Jennifer Nielsen
The Maze Runner by James Dashner

No comments:

Post a Comment