Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Scarlet Pimpernel

Review by Curry

by Baroness Emmuska Orczy


Genre: Historical Fiction, Romance, Adult, Young Adult

Rating: Y

Content: Some mild violence (non-descriptive)

Summary:

Armed with only his wits and his cunning, one man recklessly defies the French revolutionaries and rescues scores of innocent men, women, and children from the deadly guillotine. His friends and foes know him only as the Scarlet Pimpernel. But the ruthless French agent Chauvelin is sworn to discover his identity and to hunt him down.

Personal Review:

This is a good classic read. I love the story of the Scarlet Pimpernel. I had seen both the movie and the play before I had read the book. When I read the book I was a little surprised to find that it was mostly written from the view of Marguerite and that Percy is not in it very much, Whereas in the movies and the play Percy is the lead character. I still really enjoyed the book. The story has some suspense as well as romance, and it is all set in a real life time of terror in our world’s history. It’s a great story. (P.s. see the play if you get a chance!)

- Curry

If you liked this you might also like:

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
Friends and Foes by Sarah Eden
North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

2 comments:

  1. I think I am going to put this at the top of my reading list, once I finish the Hobbit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to read this book!

    ReplyDelete